Blog 5

After reading the article and listening to Dr. Bezio’s podcast, I knew exactly which ad I was choosing for my blog. The Pure Michigan Radio ads have always been my favorite ads as they painted a picture and bring back a feeling that is peaceful. Many ads aim to accurately depict your fantasy or daydream as it was mentioned in the podcast and the article even quoted some common phrases use such as “The happiest place on earth” or “You can’t leave home without it.” Tim Allen brings a soothing energy to the Snow Days ad (#8 from the link attached) as he describes a winter day that brings us back to a happy time. He talks about school being cancelled, the day being free and full of possibilities, the first time you go outside with snow all around you being “fresh,” etc. The pure idea of winter excites me, with the snowflakes falling down and the crisp cold air surrounding me, that is the perfect way to target me. This ad makes the connection of winter and all your happy memories from years ago, using its advantage by bringing back a feeling that is indescribable but present in every person. This positive association leaves a great feeling with you and that will be recalled when the ad comes up again or Michigan is brought up.

The same goes for the rest of their ads that vary with activities and seasons. Another ad that always stands out to me is when Tim Allen says we should be answering the call of the wild, which is the first video from the link. As he begins by describing the busy day of answering calls and emails leading into a ti me of relaxing and not worrying about work. This sense of relaxation and time off work is then associated with Michigan and bring a feeling that comes up every time I hear the ad or Michigan is brought up. All the great memories of Michigan are portrayed through the many different ads with talking about a possible experience that you can have as Michigan provides the towns, people, nature, etc.

I am not sure if anyone else looked up the goldfish ad, but I know its a snack that not only smiles back but produces these positive experiences associated to them that makes them stand out. That is definitely something that would persuade me to buy them, however I am not a goldfish fan. Another one of their ads that came to mind when Dr. Bezio brought up goldfish was the one where many of them are racing and then the rainbow goldfish are introduced. I wonder which is Goldfish’s most popular ad…

2 thoughts on “Blog 5

1. Judith Witke Mele

I also am brought back to a happy (but cold) memory of waking up to a snowday as a child when Tim Allen talks about it in the Snow Days one. But I know there are many people who lived in places where it did not snow and they do not have that association, I think if I hadn’t grown up with snow days this commercial would be totally unrelatable and have no meaning.
    The audio in these commercials is very soothing and think portrays a trustworthy facade.

2. Margot Austin

When I hear these ads, I also think of my childhood, specifically our hiking vacations to Maine and Vermont that were so focused on nature. I also think that these ads target our desires to live our ideal lives, ones that are focused on nature rather than monetary gain and stress. That peace and quiet is something that everyone craves, so putting it in an ad like this makes us think that through a vacation we can reach them.