Statistics Blog Post

This podcast and reading combination were particularly interesting, statists being manipulated and lied about are something I think about a lot in my daily life. I try combat it like Dr. Bezio said in the podcast by checking my sources and trying to find other sources to substitute them but as the Huff says, “You can’t win”. Numbers are such a powerful tool and many of us depend on them for the “truth” but I wonder in the modern day with all of the media we have and the unregulated nature of the internet can we trust anything we don’t find it at least two peer reviewed studies? When reading How to Lie with Statistics I thought a lot about assumptions, especially on page 26 when Huff was talking about the two groups of interviewers. I found myself expecting the outcome to be what it was when asked a question such as “would blacks be treated better or worse here if the Japanese conquered the U.S.A?” more people answered yes when asked by the black interviewer. I thought about assumptions because I assumed people would be more comfortable sharing their (racist) opinion with a white person. This part also stood out to because it emphasizes that having a bad sample is not the only way to get skewed statistics there are so many other factors some of which are simply uncontrollable.

One thought on “Statistics Blog Post

1. Kate Lavan

I like how you pointed out that we depend on numbers for the “truth,” but after doing the reading and listening to the podcast, it is clear that we cannot do that because numbers are so easily skewed and misrepresented due to biases and misinformation. I also like how you connected this topic to assumptions.