Blog Post Due 3/16

:https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1370439909400543233

This particular chart is not my favorite. I wanted to use a win probability added for defense and offense that showed all 32 NFL teams. However, I was not able to find the chart very easily. I like the Patriots Run Action Rate by Season chart for a few different reasons. The graphic has clear, easy-to-read numbers and titles. Furthermore, I like how the focus is explicitly drawn to the Patriots by using their logo as the data point instead of just a dot. The axes also make it pretty easy to identify increases or decreases in run action rate by selecting axis ranges that are relevant. I like the inclusion of all the other 31 teams’ data points on the chart. While we do not know which dot corresponds to which team (I have a feeling that the color of the dot denotes which team it is, but NFL teams color schemes are very unoriginal), we can see where the Patriots fall with regards to the rest of the league. It is interesting to see that while the New England Patriots have always skewed towards a more run-heavy attack even with Tom Brady at quarterback (statistics show that he thrives off the play-action), the addition of Cam Newton at QB led to a drastic spike in Run Action Rate. The 2019 Patriots dealt with injuries to the running back core, so they added more short passes and screens to help alleviate the run game. The 2020 Patriots played a ball-control game style. As a result, most games they played were close, which allowed the continued use of the run. However, they were also blown out a few times, so having a run action rate as high as it surprises me. The coaching staff likely knew the deficiencies in the passing game and determined that despite being behind multiple scores, running the ball would still be the most effective way to score points.

For more selfish reasons, I really like this chart because it is about football and my favorite team, the Patriots. Sports Statistics in general, interest me more than other statistical charts and graphs because I have more innate knowledge on the subject. Additionally, my knowledge helps me spot more biases present in the data. Sports Statistics charts that are purely informational, such as the one above, tend to be as free of bias as is possible for a chart that was at least partially designed by a human being. Charts and graphs used on talk shows on ESPN, FOX Sports, CBS, etc., are typically used to spin a story one way or another, and the creators often try to skew the perception of the viewer. As with most things, it is best to take a step back and analyze the information you are being presented with.

One thought on “Blog Post Due 3/16

1. Oona Elovaara

I think it’s really cool how much background information you knew about the types of plays that they ran in different seasons, and the various reasons behind them. For someone who loves sports but didn’t know any of the Patriots’ play tactics, this helped me interpret the chart better and the patterns definitely make sense. I enjoyed learning about this and also how you mentioned that sports networks such as ESPN will use a chart to spin their story one or the other, depending on what segment they want to focus on that day, and not necessarily just stepping back and presenting the data from all sides.