Implicit Biases Test (Blog Post 2)

I took multiple of these implicit bias tests because I was really interested in seeing the results. While some showed me that I had slight biases for certain religious/age/gender groups, I was not surprised by the results. I am aware of my potential biases and I actively work towards overcoming them. Naturally, biases will always exist within us, but recognizing the biases is important so that we don’t act upon them. 

One test/result that confused me was the presidential one in which the results were that I have a strong immediate preference for Joe Biden over Thomas Jefferson. I was pleased that I prefer our president over an old president who owned hundreds of slaves throughout his life, but I was confused as to the relevance of the results. Was it supposed to be comparing old presidents to new? Democratic to republican? If anyone has any idea, feel free to comment lol.

2 thoughts on “Implicit Biases Test (Blog Post 2)

1. Miriam Gilman

I think the presidential preference has to do with the fact that Joe Biden is our current president. Jefferson, while becoming more and more talked about in the past decade or so due to Hamilton, was president so long ago and has very little influence on our lives. I don’t really see the relevance because if we are always glorifying old presidents instead of focusing on rooting for our current president to succeed, then we will never get anywhere. I understand that not everyone wanted Joe Biden as president, but either way, I think it is ignorant to want any president to fail because, at the end of the day, they are responsible for the outcome of our country.

2. Laura Roldan

I think your preference of Joe Biden over Thomas Jefferson highlights your preference for progressive change in politics, both institutionally and socially. In my interpretation, it shows your preference for change rather than following tradition. Also, I think if your results would have been the opposite, then this would signify a strong adherence to the constitution and traditional conservative values.