The Art of Argument Response

I thought the discussion on page 354 about flu shots in reference to instrumental and inherent value was a helpful way to think about consequential moral arguments, especially during a time of intense debate regarding COVID-19 vaccine distribution. Instrumental value is defined as something one values in order to receive something else they value more. Inherent values are defined as things that are valued on their own. In reading this section, I kept thinking about opportunity costs, and how in most things that we have a choice, we will pick the thing that will give us the lowest opportunity cost.

It is easy to think that something that you do not want to do on its own, like getting a flu shot or the COVID-19 vaccination because of the potential pain and displeasure or chance of ineffectiveness, is not valuable. However, as we know, the value of not getting the flu or not getting COVID-19 outweighs the consequence of enduring the pain of the initial vaccination. Furthermore, things that we want to do do not always come with pleasure, or that pleasure varies among each person. I think addressing flu shots and COVID-19 vaccine distribution in these ways to the public, as consequences that are inherently morally important rather than in terms of instrumental value, would help increase the number of people willing to receive the vaccines.

4 thoughts on “The Art of Argument Response

1. Sophia Picozzi

I think it is really cool how you relate instrumental and inherent value to the COVID-19 vaccine because that is honestly a great way to put it! It would definitely urge more people to get the vaccine and hopefully the “opportunity cost” like the bad side effects of the vaccine decrease!

2. Olivia Cosco

I agree with Sophia. I think you make a really great connection between instrumental/inherent value to the covid or flu vaccine. I agree with you that people should weigh out the costs and benefits with something as important as the covid vaccine. I also think your connection gave me a better understanding of instrumental and inherent value itself.

3. Sofie Martinez

Great way to tie it into our day-to-day lives. The issue of COVID-19 vaccination is one that I think could be easily aided by ethics. I think that in some senses, different agencies are providing a form of this philosophy to people low key. For example, many airlines have already stated their commitment to enforcing a “proof of vaccination” policy that would only allow those who have the vaccine to fly… Seems fair enough. If you don’t want to get vaccinated, totally within your right… You just have to walk to your destination 🙂

4. Hannah Burke

I think that using ethics is a great way to argue for the vaccine. As there are many people who think for various reasons that they should not get the vaccine, trying a different approach as you are suggesting could open up a lot of minds to the possibility. By focusing on the morality of getting the vaccine instead of the instrumental value, more people may be able to see past the short period of time they may be in a little bit of pain and look at more long-term consequences.