Education 2008

This is one of McCains commercials that is fighting Obama’s stance on education. It is talking about how Obama’s only accomplishment in the education area is teaching kindergartners about sex. With the last article that we read on skewing stats, I want to know where they got that information. Though I agree that teaching kids that young about sex may be a little premature, I think that the sex education system needs to be overhauled and updated. This was my favorite ad because I felt like it really had no substance to it. I mentioned in the last blog post how I tend to prefer the funny ads, I thought this ad was almost laughable. It said nothing besides that Obama is bad. I understand that that tends to be the point of the opposition ad campaign, but I thought this one was more empty than a lot of the other ones I watched.

http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/2008

4 thoughts on “Education 2008

1. Ellen Curtis

When I was watching 1988 ads I also found that many of the commercials were said to include information about the other candidates that might not be accurate. I have to believe that these candidates know the information they are putting out there is not totally accurate or misconstruing what was actually said.

2. Robert Loonie

I think the construction of this ad was very interesting. I think the inclusion of music that sounds like it is from a nursery rhyme and the unflattering pictures of Obama really attempt to make the viewer portray him in a negative context. I think there is some credibility about passing the act as it says in the ad it was passed in 2003 in Illinois, however, the inclusion of the quote “Comprehensive Sex Education” is very vague and does not necessarily describe the entirety of the act.

3. Katelyn Inkman

I liked how this ad had a hint of humor to it, like when the narrator was questioning how children were learning about sex before learning how to read. It definitely relates to the Huff reading from last class though with how the information was presented.

4. Henry Herz

That’s definitely an interesting ad. While initially it focuses on Obama’s record, it just delves weirdly into the topic and struggles there.