Favorite Ad

One of my favorite ad campaigns is Snicker’s “you’re not you when you’re hungry” campaign. In these commercials, one character is acting irritable and unlike themselves. Then, they have a bite of a Snickers bar and turn back in to their own personality. My favorite of these ads was a Super Bowl ad from a long time ago with Betty White. She keeps getting tackled playing football, until she eats a snickers bar and turns back into a man playing football.

This ad uses humor to capture it’s audience. Because it is funny, it is enjoyable to watch and consumers won’t be irritated at having to watch a commercial. They will then associate Snickers’ brand with laughing and feeling happy. Also, having celebrities like Betty white in the ad suggests to audiences that the product is endorsed by her. Fans of Betty White will be more inclined to eat Snickers because they believe that she eats them as well. The ad also is something that many Americans can relate to. Playing football with your friends, but having an off day and getting tackled. Because it is relatable, consumers will respond well to it.

The ad also does a good job of getting the message across. It brands Snickers bars as not just a candy, but a snack that will fill you up and give you energy. This comes across clearly in the advertisement, while it is still funny and relatable. I think that this Snickers ad is very effective and it is one of my favorite ads.

Link:

5 thoughts on “Favorite Ad

1. Katharine Encinas

I had forgotten about this ad but I also really enjoy it. I like when there is a recurring theme in ads, in this case the “you’re not you when you’re hungry” idea. They are consistently funny and creative. I think including Betty White was not only funny, but it expanded the audience that would enjoy the advertisement. Betty White is loved throughout generations and due to this, the commercial reached a wider demographic.

2. Esmi

This slogan has become a household gag and I love it. It’s general enough to apply to every situation when someone hasn’t eaten and is acting out of character, but it’s also impossible to separate it from Snickers. Unconsciously, people hear it and will think about snickers. It’s genius!

3. Katelyn Inkman

I agree, having an enjoyable ad is important because it is so rare to find commercials you enjoy that it helps make the product memorable and have a positive connotation in your head when you think of it.

4. Sofia Torrens

I agree, I loved these commercials when I was little and still love to hear the slogan today. This reminds me of how companies reintroduce ads from say 10 years ago back into circulation because people will buy it just because it makes them nostalgic.

5. Joseph Walton

I forgot about this commercial and watching it again made me laugh just as much. For some reason, old people getting tackled is funny (that sounds messed up). Snickers also did a great job turning this into a marketable campaign so everybody knows that “you’re not you when you’re hungry” is their thing.