Favorite Ad

My favorite ads are Geico Ads and their “Hump Day” ad has to be one of their most well known and iconic ads. I remember when this commercial came out, Wednesday was known as Hump Day for quite some time. I think that Geico, and also the “Mayhem” Allstate ads that Nadia posted about, are some of my favorite ads and I always find myself tuning into them. I think these ads are so effective and engaging because they are so ridiculous. Geico ads are always over the top and you can always guess which ad is a Geico ad. I think that this style of advertising is so effective for an insurance commercial because it associates Geico’s name with the most over the top situations and shows that even though there is a camel walking through the office, Geico would know how to handle it. I also see this association with the Allstate “Mayhem” ads.

Furthermore, Martin the Geico gecko is not seen in this commercial but he is a staple of other Geico ads. This character is also a tool used in their advertising to associate the ridiculous scenarios with a calm character. It is also a great association tool, like Allstate’s “Mayhem.” Almost every ad has Martin in it and it helps the audience connect the commercial back to Geico. Furthermore, each ad always ends with a catchy slogan about Geico. For example, the most well known is “15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance.” This repetition will eventually implant into the audience’s mind, especially if it is associated with a funny commercial. I even know this “15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance”, and have known it for years, and I am not even interested in buying car insurance! Overall, Geico ads use ridiculous and over the top ads to connect their audience to Geico’s ability to help and fix these situations and the hump day ad is one of the most iconic examples of Geico’s effective advertising

2 thoughts on “Favorite Ad

1. Katharine Encinas

Geico definitely has an interesting approach to commercials. I definitely agree with you that they have effective advertising. I like that they use recurring themes but have a large number of themes that they rotate. I think it is very smart of them to make their commercials funny. Most would probably agree that insurance is not innately exciting, but the way that Geico advertises makes it engaging and memorable.

2. Kostro Montina

I agree. Geico definitely produces some of the best commercials and are very effective at keeping their audience engrossed.