This reading was a little difficult for me for whatever reason to understand and absorb the information, however, what I did understand from it is the role in which the leader plays in the leader-follower relationship. Most of the time people solely focus on the leader and the impact they have and I am not discrediting the leader by any means but a leader is not able to exist without followers because he has no one to lead. This reminded me very much so of the readings we had last semester that talked about citizen leadership as well as the Machiavelli Prince reading we had last semester in which he discusses the ways in which to lead. Machiavelli discusses how it is best to be both feared and loved but if you can’t have both it is best to be feared so people will obey you and fear the consequences of failing to do so.

Another thing that stuck out to me was this concept as a leader/businessman how it is best to know who you are rather than where you are going. The reason being if you know who you are then you have the ability to adapt to the ever-changing world around you. The example in which they have in the reading was Ford vs. Sloan in the automobile industry. Ford would only adapt when necessary and was very hard-nosed versus Sloan who was proactive in his ability to change with the times making him successful in the long run.