Zinn and Hayter Reading Response

To say I was disturbed while reading Zinn’s chapter, “Columbus, The Indians, and Human Progress” is an understatement.  It was revolting to read of the horrible killings and malicious burning of indigenous communities’ crops and villages, amongst other things.  I was distressed reading these accounts, even though I had read many of them before.  When Zinn stated these horrible beginning of history between the Europeans’ invasions of indigenous people’s land, it made me reflect on what history I have been taught.  In fifth grade, we did projects on European explorers – mine on Hernán Cortés; this contributed to the systemic indoctrination of romanticizing these wealth-driven Europeans.  In middle school, you learn of the Trail of Tears and reservations; it wasn’t until I took an English class on Native American Literature in college that I got a glimpse into the generational affects of Europeans’ actions centuries ago.  Early exploration of the Americas is romanticized by schools and media and holidays (why do we even celebrate Columbus Day?); in reality, it made the lives of indigenous people – and minorities alike – troubled through each generation.

Hayter’s work contextualizes this in the fight for voting rights of African Americans in Virginia and the greater southern states.  Richmond was cultivated in an ideology of segregation and power inequality.  Moving into the Civil Rights period, African Americans had been oppressed for so long; their fight to secure voting rights was the avenue to gaining a voice.  Wealthy whites continued to disregard African Americans through voting laws and annexation; this was essentially the Europeans burning crops and villages to eliminate opposition.  And even though Richmond had few victories, like electing an African American mayor and a majority African American city council, they have been restricted within the city and the federal system to structurally alter the wealth and education available in the city.  As Hayter concludes with, “it is imperative that we remember America’s long history of cloaking disenfranchisement in the garb of ‘good government.'”

5 thoughts on “Zinn and Hayter Reading Response

1. Katelyn Inkman

After this reading, I asked myself the same question: why do we even celebrate Columbus day? He committed genocide yet we don’t acknowledge that.

2. Sophia McWilliams

In my PPEL class, we are discussing districting and the problems associated with it. Therefore, while I liked Hayter’s piece and analysis, I have come to really question the whole idea of districting in the first place. I think that the best way to get rid of racial discrimination in the voting system is to not have voting by districts or representatives by districts at all. Instead, to put it simply, there are a set number of candidates, each person has around 10 votes and can apportion their votes as they see fit. Therefore, I think that this would give minorities more of a voice and would avoid the issue of racial districting and gerrymandering altogether. Yes, this is a rather idealistic plan. But I think this would be a great system to ensure minority representation and make sure that their votes are heard proportionally and accurately.

3. Sofia Torrens

I think that it is crazy how basically all Americans think that we live in a nation that is amazing and can do no wrong when our entire existence is based off of the destruction of natives. I think that the romanticization of America gives Americans a false sense of patriotism and in some cases may cause them to act in certain ways towards certain groups of people.

4. Alexandra Smith

We often talk about the romanticization of Columbus as harmful because it is a lie, but as you brought up, I think the biggest harm is the way that minorities feel when they see a bunch of people celebrating someone who represents their persecution. This reminds me of the monument debate right here in RVA because those statues represent pain and suffering for a lot of communities.

5. Emma Cannon

I agree with you when you ask why we celebrate Columbus Day. Considering all the information we have, why are we STILL celebrating a person who caused that much harm? I also agree that one of the biggest harms is what it says to minorities when we are celebrating his “accomplishments” despite all the horrible things he did.