Reading Response 4/6

I actually really enjoyed the Zinn reading, in that I think the chapter of that book is one everyone should read. I didn’t start learning how bad of a person Columbus was until high school, and even then all I knew was that he committed mass genocide on the native peoples. Reading a detailed account of what actually happened made me even more passionate about ending the glorification of Columbus. He wasn’t a good person, and Indigenous People’s Day should be celebrated instead of Columbus Day.

I was very struck by the way Zinn commented on how we commonly gloss over historical figures’ laws by focusing on the good things they did instead of the bad. I think the phrase “history was written by the victors” very much applies here, because I realize that I only started learning the “true” history of the world within the last five years. Historical figures that I’ve looked up to in the past have turned out to be pretty problematic. For example, I’ve always admired John Muir for his findings as a naturalist and as an early advocate for the preservation of wilderness, but it turns out he was also incredibly racist. Humans love to put things into boxes, which I think comes from our need to see things as black or white. We don’t do well with gray area. People like Columbus and Cortés undoubtedly made important discoveries, but they also committed horrible acts. I think it’s important to acknowledge that they did further human expansion, but to not give them too much credit as morally good heroes, because their discoveries did lead to the erasure of other cultures.

4 thoughts on “Reading Response 4/6

1. Joshua Magee

Yeah, I think we have a moral obligation to not separate the actions from these historical figures. Choosing to omit parts of certain people paints an inauthentic picture of who they were. Until high school, I did not think of Columbus as too negative; however, I learnt that his discovery only resulted in the decimation of native people.

2. Charlotte Moynihan

I also didn’t start to learn the truth about Columbus until high school. I think there needs to be more of an effort to portray him in the correct light from the start and stop glorifying him to young students.

3. Leah Hincks

I agree that people often don’t see the negative side of historical figures. I think this may be because we idolize so many people in history, and it is hard for people to see the flaws in their heros.

4. Katelyn Inkman

I completely agree that we can acknowledge that people like Columbus and Cortés did further human expansion, but we also need to learn about the horrible things they did and acknowledge that those are not okay. By ignoring their horrible acts it is like we are saying that they were okay because the end justifies the means.