Reading Response 4/5

I know and have learned that Richmond has a long of systematic discrimination and it is something that affects and exists in the city today. I had not known about the great fears and lengths that white voters went to in order to maintain power. There were a few of these instances in the “From Intent to Extent” reading that stuck out to me. Trying to prevent the city council from having African American members is one of these. The reading explained that white members knew exactly how losing the majority advantage could change the scope of city laws and resource distribution, and for this reason they pushed for annexation and manipulation the election system. We have discussed how having and holding power affects people, and the white city of Richmond councilors lived in fear of losing this power. When they finally did, it was a “triumph” that embodied the long “protracted struggle for political parity” of African Americans

Looking further back into history, it is shocking to understand what clear crimes were considered the norm. Columbus and his crew did not even recognize natives as people. They did not hesitate to mislead, enslave and murder in the interest of power and riches. What makes the situation worse is the reluctance of history to assign blame and condemnation; instead Columbus is hailed as a hero and adventurer that we teach children about. History, in this case, seems to be on the wrong side of judgement.

I think the way that we look back on these events is extremely interesting. In hindsight, it is so easy to tell what is right versus wrong in the fight for Civil Rights. Even understanding this, it upsetting to see how long it takes for the most basic terms of political and social justice to be fulfilled, and how much more progress needs to be made. I also know that we are less socially progressive now, as Americans, than we have been in the past. In time, I can only hope that we will look back and think it was ridiculous that certain fundamental inequalities existed, but now for they are prevalent. Sometimes, as the case of Columbus seems to show, this “justice” of hindsight is never really fulfilled.

2 thoughts on “Reading Response 4/5

1. Joshua Magee

I agree with your point on the effect of power. I realized how some individuals will protect their power and wealth at any cost. Whether that be killing people in Columbus’ case or using voter dilution in the case of Richmond city officials. The more conscious we are of inequalities, the higher chance these issues can be addressed in society.

2. Nadia Iqbal

The history involved with City Council was also difficult for me to read, as I work (or well, used to work) in the Richmond City Council this semester. The Council has definitely become more diverse, with 4/8 of the members being people of color. It’s wonderful to see how we are making progress, even if it is far too slow.