Cavemen Brains

” Some analysts complain that all our difficulties stem from the fact that we have been turned loose in the industrial age equipped with the brain of prehistoric times.”

The simplicity of chains of cause and effects is how the author, Dorner says our brains work. In many ways this is true. Our brains constantly love to simplify. It is a technique that makes this vast world, easier to understand. However, over simplification is many times dangerous. We create groups and subgroups and place people in them. This leads to stereotyping and categorization. What was once was a sorting technique now becomes a way to make racial assumptions. For example, the label of the “Dark, tall and black criminal” comes from a way of sorting types of people into groups. Then taking those groups and assuming the actions of the groups. Caveman brains or lizard brains stem from a response to protect ourselves, but we are far from prehistoric times, so why haven’t we caught up?

We haven’t developed because we are constantly acting on instinct. Brains are muscles and so they react to what we have trained them to do. For example, if you train your body to run in the wrong form then it won’t fix itself until you untrain it. The brain is a muscle and we need to untrain the Caveman inside.

2 thoughts on “Cavemen Brains

1. Leah Hincks

I agree with what you are saying about retraining your brain. Certainly it is hard, but in recent years as I have learned more about caveman brains and implicit biases, I have been able to catch myself when I start to make assumptions or put people into groups.

2. Sarah Houle

I think that there is a really interesting connection between the quote you pulled out and mindbugs. Back in the mindbugs reading, the association with groups of words was described. It makes sense that the brain creating these association groups and filling in the wholes naturally translates to people as we discussed with biases. However, I think that the quote you pulled out takes it one step further, it makes the connection between these mindbugs and proactive action rather than just recall. This connection scares me in a lot of ways because it makes me wonder how accurate our perception of reality and issues we should be tackling is.