Game Theory Is Everywhere Man

Like others have mentioned, the prisoner’s dilemma and other dilemmas manifest themselves in a million+ fields and disciplines. The most impactful way I learned about the Tragedy of the Commons and Freeloading was in relation to international environmental policies. Given the limited and shared resource of oil, let’s say, it would be ideal for the planet if all nations decide to cut down. However, if one more nations don’t cut down, and instead reap benefits and take even MORE of the limited resource, we are left with the limited resource being just as diminished, and the good nations with environmental policies are suffering economically with no ultimate benefit for the planet. It is deeply frustrating, and this reading only made me reminded of it.

3 thoughts on “Game Theory Is Everywhere Man

1. Caitlyn Lindstrom

I agree; I spoke about the connection between this reading and what I had learned in my International Relations class. I think the most important implication of these social dilemmas is the larger application. These dilemmas define the way certain states act with each other, and if we continue to focus on “us vs them” thinking, we are bound to face future environmental, social, and military (amongst other) stresses.

2. Henry Herz

The dilemma of the “tragedy of the commons” becomes even more worrisome when we look to the future. In an age where food, water, and as stated above oil, become more and more scarce, will we be able to work with others to avoid this tragedy?

3. Imani Mustaf

I agree, enviromental policies worry me as well. Im not sure if we’ll ever be able to avoid this tragedy given the nature of humanity. I truly fear for the future of our world because if we dont get our stuff together then this planet will die.