Game Theory response

I honestly thought that this reading was boring. I didn’t find it super engaging but it did make me think a lot about compromise. It talked a lot about finding the Nash equilibrium and how both parties have to want similar things. I think this ties in a lot with the idea of compromise. Is the idea situation one where everyone is happy or where no one is happy. I think that the answer is when no one is happy. It’s nice to think that humans are able to find solutions that make everyone happy but we are just not. It’s not in our nature, especially on a large scale. I believe that when people are actually compromising they are giving up things on both sides. This is very important for things like politics and stuff because people need to be willing to give up some things to achieve anything. I think this is why rock paper scissors makes us so happy. It makes us feel like anyone can win and has a fair shot at winning. It makes us feel like we are not losing even though there is a 50% chance that we don’t get what we want.

2 thoughts on “Game Theory response

1. Ellen Curtis

I agree with what your saying about it not being in our nature to find mutually beneficial solutions. This reading made it clear to me that there are plenty of easy ways to come to mutually beneficial solutions but nobody ever wants to. Thet would prefer to try for maximum benefit.

2. Sophia McWilliams

I think that compromise is inevitable. Since our society is based so heavily in cooperation and social interaction, we have to compromise in order to reach any decision. It is going to be hard to make any progress or achieve any level of change without compromise. What is most important is how we can maximize our utility the most even with this compromise. I keep going back to the example of the Prisoner’s dilemma. Sure, it is not ideal that if both people do not confess they do not reach the highest level of utility possible. But since our society is dominated by compromise, we must find a way to still reach a high level of utility (one that is higher than both people confessing), without infringing on the “well-being” of another person.