My Implicit Bias Test

I have taken the IAT in previous leadership courses, and for this course I decided to try a new one and take association of Male and Females in Liberal Arts and Sciences. Before I tell you what my result was, I want to explain why I took the test.

I was expecting to have no preference or at least a slight preference for males in liberal arts (which is what society dictates). I went to a STEM Early College high school and earned my Associate’s degree in Engineering. Throughout my time in the engineering, advanced science. and advanced math classes I was the ONLY GIRL in the class about 90% of the time. I had grown used to studying a “male-dominated” field but also hoped I would have developed a stronger mindset by the end of that experience. I had accomplished the same degree as my male counterparts, in addition to leading their robotics team.

My IAT suggested I have a moderate automatic association for Male with Liberal Arts and Female with Science. 🙂 I have spent about 6 years associating females in male-dominated career fields, because I am aware that females do, in fact, have the same skill sets and ability to be successful in these fields as males.

One thought on “My Implicit Bias Test

1. Emily Anastos

Reading your response I was interested interesting how your experience would impact the results. On one hand, I can see how it would be possible that your experiences, seeing males 90% dominant would lead you to associate Sciences with Male. I think your results demonstrate your success in the field and confidence in yourself, recognizing that you, and all other females, are equally capable, not just lucky to be there.