Take Back the Night

This was my first year attending Take Back the Night. I know that this is event is hosted each year on our campus, as well as around the country. Even though I am a junior, I had yet to attend the event because of how solemn and serious it is. I guess I was always afraid to attend, afraid to hear the stories, afraid to know the reality of the situation on our campus. This year I decided it was important for me to at least attend out of respect.

I went to the event, but I will admit I could not stay the entire time. Each time a person got up to share their story my heart sunk a little deeper into my stomach. It truly hurt to hear their experiences, to think about how they must be feeling, and to know that this happens every day. With all the media attention around sexual assaults and misconduct recently I almost felt that I had become desensitized to the issue. The issue was bigger than me and bigger than the UR Campus. Going to Take Back the Night made me realize that this problem is not bigger than me. It is not bigger than the UR Campus. I was deeply saddened by the amount of people at our school who went up and spoke at the mic, some of whom I see walking around and honestly never thought twice.

This event was special, in that it gives a voice to each person who has felt silenced by their abuser. It is a really well done and powerful event. I recommend that everyone attend a Take Back the Night at least once during their time at UR. Attending this event was very special, and I am so glad that I did.