GG Post-Vote Thoughts

Well, we didn’t win! But that’s okay because I believe a large portion of RAINN’s mission is to spread awareness about a pressing issue, and I’m happy we were able to help do that through our project. It was very fitting that our presentation was around the time of UR’s annual Take Back the Night and April, which is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. I feel like through choosing RAINN as our organization, we were able to learn a lot more about this issue and being so proximate to it on a college campus made it hit home more. Throughout this process, I’ve tried to try out theĀ Doing Good BetterĀ strategy of picking a charity which is able to be the most effective/make the largest impact. But, being the emotion-driven person I am, I can’t part from donating to causes which I care about. And to be quite honest, I don’t think this is a bad thing. Even if my money will be worth more at another charity, I think it is important to remind ourselves it is okay to give to things simply because we care about them.. a little something is better than nothing. I am ultimately happy with our class’s final vote as I believe the establishment of health infrastructures will help alleviate other social issues. People can’t thrive if they can’t even survive.