Charity Choice: Save the Children

The charity that we have chosen for our group Giving Games research project is called Save the Children. The primary focuses of this charity include aid in areas such as: child protection, child sponsorship, education, emergency response, health and livelihoods, hunger and nutrition, and HIV and AIDs. This charity works on a global scale incorporating 120 different countries across the world. Specific areas that the charity works with include: the U.S., Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and Eurasia.

Taken directly from their website, Save the Children states that one of the goals of the organization is to “give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn, and protection from harm.” The central goal of the charity is to give children the ability to succeed and it does so by working with its different resources for the education and health programs within the charity. For example, not only does the charity work to help children to better educate themselves, but they also aid in the mentoring of teachers, parents, and coaches so they can help children achieve that success mentioned above. One reason why this charity can be considered so effective can be the fact that such a large portion of the funds the charity receives is used directly for the program services implemented. The remaining funds 13% in funds are spent in areas of fundraising (8%) and management and other needs (5%).

Ultimately, when reading about this charity I found one of the main reasons why it would be most effective to donate to it is because financing the success of children and the youth of the world, particularly on a global scale, will provide greater benefits for society in the long run. Looking deeply into the charity and how it spends its funds, I found it to be very reputable and principled. I looked over the charity’s website and browsed in multiple different areas that the website provides. Overall, it hits you with an overwhelming amount of information and statistics about the charity. It also had up how the funds were used in the last couple years. There most certainly is not a lack of information on this charity. I also do not have a particular inclination or bias to this charity because I have never had a super personal experience with extreme poverty myself. As of right now, I stand by Save the Children and believe it should receive the funding from Jepson.

Despite all this, there are still a couple of concerns that my group will continue to address and revisit throughout this project. One main concern is that the majority of the information I looked at about the charity thus far (and I know they did as well), is the charity’s own website. We will clearly need to do more digging and see from other sources if the website is a truthful representation of the charity’s depiction of itself. One final concern that I have with this charity is how effective it is to use the funds in 120 different countries, rather than just zeroing in on the countries with the lowest poverty rate and helping those children out first and foremost.