Brief for 9/10

Can You be Black and Look at This?

Elizabeth Anderson made several well validated points throughout this article. She talked about how black people feel connected to one another’s struggles even though they may not have experienced the exact same incident. For example, Emmitt Till was senselessly murdered by white men without remorse. In today’s day and age, this level of blatant racially motivated violence would not be tolerated. However, black people can still relate and empathize with this just with the thought of “that could’ve been me.”

This idea of empathy within the black community brings me to Anderson’s main focus. “This essay considers the inchoate way that black people might understand themselves to be apart of the larger group. I mean this more than I mean political, ethnic, subcultural, or diasporic. I am talking about what it is to think of oneself , in this day and age, as having a people.” (82). Personally, I feel as if black people are able to identify as a “people” because for so many years we have been viewed as the outsiders. Therefore, no matter what differences we possess, we know we share the trait of “other” in the eyes of society.

This idea of being “othered” reminds me of a term that I learned in my Intro to WGSS class: alterity. In lamest terms alterity is just the state of being othered. Simone Beauvoir describes how alterity is used to make the “others” viewed as negative and binary. It creates this mindset that if I’m not this then I’m that. For example, if I’m not white, then I’m black. If I’m not rich, then I’m poor. If I don’t have a college education, then I’m ignorant. Then, all of the traits of each binary are grouped together, insinuating if you possess any of the “negative” traits, then you must have all of them. This is exactly how alterity has created many problems in our society, many of which only those who face these problems can fully understand.

The system we operate within everyday was built upon alterity. It contributes to economic disparities, negative stereotypes, and disparities within our justice system. By dissociating themselves from black people, white people have been able to use alterity as a way to justify these inequalities. Is there a way to disconnect “other” from being associated with black people? If so, will this disconnection help reduce disparities? How would that address the inequalities black people have already faced for so long? What are some other alternatives to the situation? Lastly, considering that black people find a sense of community in our “otherness,” how can we keep this idea of “having a people” without all of the negatives that come along with this term?