Ch. 8 ‘what else is there’

When we were learning a little bit about Stuart Hall, I was able to dig into my Cultural Studies notes with Professor Towns. In that class, we focus A LOT on Stuart Hall and the importance of relating the encoding and decoding model to not only media, but also to ideologies. Aside from the model being used to provide and explain the meaning behind messages, there are three hypothetical positions for the model. The first being the Preferred reading of messages which is dominant reading  that the media wants you to have. The second is the Negotiated position where  messages will occur, and an individual deals with it in a way to fit their own life or worldview. With this position, one may accept some of the message but not all of it. This is the most common reading. The third position is Oppositional, which is your own interpretation of the dominant reading, which results in being completely against the dominant. 

I always have a different lens than everyone when viewing immigrants at the border on any news channel. I remember a specific time when my mom and I were on our couch in Florida and we turned the tv on. The first thing that came on was the horrifying images of families being ripped apart by ICE. There was crying, screaming, violent struggles, and innocent families just trying to seek a better life. For my mom and I, it is extremely hard to watch these channels because the immigrants tend to be from Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, etc. These are places that my mom has either been to or lived in. Being from El Salvador, she and I have a different lens through which we view this media. Image result for immigrants at border cryingMy reaction to this is completely different from someone who doesn’t know someone who is illegally crossing or someone who made the journey successfully. This relates to the concept of polysemy from chapter 8 that talks about different people having multiple meanings from the media and how they coexist together. All in all, I think having these differing views on media and having the ability to critique media is the most important tool that ties back to Stuart Hall and Croteau and Hoynes.