Character/Classification of Aegeus

Using Aristotelian analysis, Aegeus can be classified as a character who is “like us.” 

When Aegeus comes across Medea, he is happy to see her, and tells her that he has just come from the oracle of Phoebus.  Aegeus and his wife wish to concieve a child, but have not been able to do so.  His want of a child directly appeals to the audience, for the majority of people, especially in Greek times, wish to have children.  Also, Aegeus comes across as a character easy to sympathize and familiarate with, for in Greek times, bearing children was no easy task.  The complications with childbirth still exist today.

However, as Aegeus learns about Jason’s abandonment of Medea, he is disgusted at what has happened to her.  He truly sympathizes with her troubles and wishes to help. 

However, when given an opportunity to fully back Medea, Aegeus becomes a bit cautious.  Aegeus states”

Lady, on many grounds I am most fain to grant thee this thy boon, first for the gods’ sake, next for the children whom thou dost promise I shall beget; for in respect of this I am completely lost. ‘Tis thus with me; if e’er thou reach my land, I will attempt to champion thee as I am bound to do. Only one warning I do give thee first, lady; I will not from this land bear thee away, yet if of thyself thou reach my halls, there shalt thou bide in safety and I will never yield thee up to any man. But from this land escape without my aid, for I have no wish to incur the blame of my allies as well.

Like many people, Aegeus is fearful of the consequences of association.  If he leads Medea back to Athens, he will be seen as a staunch supporter of a woman with many enemies.  So instead, he tells Medea, that if she can reach Athens, he will give her a place to stay.  He is convinced by Medea to take an oath never to banish her from Athens. 

Through his actions, Aegeus stands as a character “like us.”  He has good intentions and a sensible nature, but lacks the boldness that would be possessed by a “larger than life” character.