Here’s how the study’s authors describe their findings in Harvard Business Review:

When we studied 165 lawyers at a large North American law firm, for example, we found that their success depended on their ability to network effectively both internally (to get themselves assigned to choice clients) and externally (to bring business into the firm). Those who regarded these activities as distasteful and avoided them had fewer billable hours than their peers.

Though the profession ostensibly values academic achievement and intellectual prowess above all else, we all know the truth: Schmoozers rule. They make more money because they bill more—and they bill more because they know how to suck up for better assignments and seduce clients to their lair.

Despite this, lawyers get all prudish about networking. “You feel moral contamination because you know in your heart it is exploitative and selfish,” explains Tiziana Casciaro of University of Toronto, one of the study’s authors. “They feel so impure that they literally wish to take a shower.” She adds, “we are more moral than we think we are.”

But hiding in the bathroom is not morally superior, and it certainly makes no career sense. The authors write that there are ways to overcome the revulsion. Here are four key points set out in HBR:

1. “Focus on learning.” Instead of telling yourself you’ll hate the networking event, be open to the possibly that you might meet interesting people and get something out of it.

2. “Identify common interests.” Before approaching those you’d like to know, learn as much as possible about them in order to find shared interests and goals to “help you forge meaningful working relationships.”

3. “Think broadly about what you can give.” Senior-ranking members find networking much easier, because they have the power to give others advice and mentorship. So what can junior people offer? They can show gratitude, recognition, and offer those in power “enhanced reputation,” wtite the authors

4. “Find a higher purpose.” Lawyers who focused on the collective benefits of making connections (‘support my firm’ and ‘help my clients’) rather than on personal ones (‘support or help my career’) felt more authentic and less dirty while networking,” write the authors.

Let me summarize this advice: Get a better attitude and learn to suck up. Casciaro tells me: “Its all a matter of how you approach it,” adding that it’s key to be “open-minded and curious.” Rather than focus on a specific intent, she advises that you look at potential as the motivating factor.

I’m no Pollyanna, but I don’t disagree with her on the attitude part. I don’t know whether I’m actually getting mellower or that my social life is lacking, but I no longer dread going to business social functions where people are networking like speed daters. I don’t know what exactly I’ll get out of them but I’m usually satisfied with some chunks of gossip, good food and a nice venue.

As for the art of suck-up, though, that’s just not my forte. The authors give some samples of how junior people can make connections with those who are more senior—like the young woman who wrote letters to “the 30 people she felt had contributed the most to her professional growth, thanking them and describing the specific ways each had helped her.” Even in my eager-beaver days, I can assure you I was never capable of such effort.

But Casciaro says that’s okay. Her point: “Don’t hesitate to approach powerful people, because people like flattery. Just don’t be a leech.”

The bottom line is that you need to put yourself out there. “It can be emotionally taxing to network,” admits a former Am Law 100 associate who’s now in-house. “I overcome it by reminding myself that most people like to be helpful, that what goes around comes around.”

Having a drink or two at these functions helps too.

by vchen@alm.com

Photo credit: STUDIO GRAND OUEST/iStockphoto