Fossil Evidence for the Evolution of Plants

Week Ten Presentation

The presentation from this weeks class. I hope you enjoyed Dave Hutchinson’s presentation of his selection of fossil plants. This was an excellent and truly representative presentation with some really special samples that you would be hard put to find in a good museum.

Cooksonia (Silurian)

4 thoughts on “Fossil Evidence for the Evolution of Plants”

1. David, you have done a good job incorporating many things to make this class interesting and hands on. I can only speak for myself, but I appreciate all of the hard work you have put into this class. Mr. Hutchinson’s presentation was great. I admit all of the scientific names sound exotic and unless with some practice become a bit overwhelming to remember the first go around. He was very enthusiastic and that energy helped to make for a good experience as well.

2. Thank you. I agree that Dave’s presentation was wonderful and I hope he will help me out again in the future. Many of the scientific names are confusing, but most genera and species names are more than you need to remember. Just go for the big picture and main themes.

3. I too enjoyed last night’s various samples and cascade of information. I went home and bragged to my 11-year-old and his friend, Chris. Chris was so excited because, as he informed me, he wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up. His father has tons of books that he’s been looking through and reading and to hear that other people were just as interested was thrilling for him. All and all the boys were mightily impressed with what I had gotten to see and hear Tuesday night. Thanks for adding that “field trip” for us.

4. I also wanted to comment on how interesting it was to actually hold and see the fossils of organisms we had been talking about in class. It is very interesting to actually see what scientists are working with when they try to discover how flora and fauna from the past once looked and how they lived.