The Legacy of T-Pain

The effects of T-Pain’s pioneering journey with Auto-Tune are evident in today’s music scene, especially in the R&B and hip-hop genres.  Artists such as Future use the technology for the same robotic effect as T-Pain, but also use it to create a perfectionist, hollow sound when they rap.  In addition, artists like Beyoncé use Auto-Tune to create a truly perfect pitch in all of their songs.  Today, T-Pain has remained relevant in the music world, winning the first season of “The Masked Singer.”  T-Pain had the following to say after winning the breakout show:

“That was my, for lack of better terms, ‘F–k you, everybody (moment),’ ” T-Pain, 33, told the Daily News with a laugh. “I have people that (have) just been doubting me my whole career and things like that because I’ve put some different aesthetic on my vocals than everybody else” (Sblendorio, 1).

T-Pain receiving an award from Nick Cannon after winning “The Masked Singer”, shown on FOX.

T-Pain has cemented himself in the history books of modern music.  When asked about his effect on the music industry in his interview with NPR, T-Pain replied with one simple phrase: “I’ve changed the sound of music,” he said (Najm, 1).