Alexander’s Thoughts–Day 5

I was not able to sign the Creed that was passed in the last Council session. It was far too vague for me to accept as the Creed of the Church going forward. I believe that the vague language allows for too much room for false interpretation and heretical ideas, the most destructive being that of Arius. I believe that the Creed must be clear that Jesus Christ is co-eternal with God, and that he is uncreated. I am disappointed that we were not able to create a Creed with that important language, and I hope that in this last session we will have the opportunity to push for change.

Regarding the canons that were passed, I am pleased with all of them. I am very happy that we have moved the role of Metropolitan Bishop of Palestine from Bishop of Caesarea to the Bishop of Jerusalem. Jerusalem is the Holy Land and the place of the founding of the church, therefore their Bishop should have authority and not be under someone else. I am also pleased with the strong authority given to Metropolitan Bishops over local bishops. It is too challenging to keep unity and agreement within the leadership of the church when the power is so spread out and held by so many. Giving the most power to a few strong bishops in control of large provinces allows for the Church to stay consistent and united. I also am happy with the canon regarding the role of women in the church. Though I do not have a particularly strong opinion on the matter, I do see the benefits of keeping men in teaching positions and not women, benefits that will help the church grow within the Empire. Those outside of the church do not give women authority, and the church’s legitimacy could be compromised if we had women leading our congregations.

I look forward to the conclusion of this Council so that we may go out and continue to spread the good news of Jesus Christ.