Alexander’s Thoughts–Day 4

The canon on the state of those who denied their faith during persecution passed unanimously. I am pleased with the way that we discussed the issue, and how we worked together to ensure an agreeable and desirable wording of the canon with the utmost respect for one another. I do think that we spent an unnecessary amount of time defending our thoughts on which words to include. The most effective use of our time was giving each present to speak his thoughts on the issue with no risk of argument. I feel that we could have made more progress on more important issues, but I am still pleased with the result of the day.

I appreciate the leadership of Ossius and Emperor Constantine during the legislative process of this canon. I am glad that we first established that everyone in attendance seemed to be on the same page of letting the lapsed back into the church–no one was so unforgiving to say that they would never have an opportunity to rejoin. From there progress was made. I was not happy with the idea of the lapsed receiving a “punishment” for their shortcomings. Punishment is a negative consequence, and I believe that punishing those who truly want to be a part of the church and follow Christ is counter-intuitive to the message and life of Jesus. I was content to require the lapsed to be re-baptized because it is clearly not a punishment. If anything it is an honor, a chance to recommit their faith in Christ publicly so that no one can refute their faith. I am pleased with the canon and its wording, and I look forward to the final days of the Council.