Brown Bag Discussion on Volunteering (Event #2)

Before Thanksgiving Break I attended a Brown Bag Discussion event that was about volunteering in the city of Richmond. The event was set up with a panel discussion, with each speaker representing a volunteer organization in Richmond and advertising about their respective programs. I found it very interesting to see how the different programs varied in terms of what groups they were targeting and how. Volunteering itself has been very important to me in my life. In high school I was a part of Habitat for Humanity, an organization where we would help build houses in low-income neighborhoods in Newark, New Jersey. It was so valuable to be able to give back to the community in this way.

In college I also volunteered at Overby Sheppard Elementary School on behalf of the volunteer assignment for Justice and Civil Society. This experience was incredible because I was able to work with 2nd and 3rd graders and assist them with reading and writing. Given their situations at home, school was the best place for them to grow as individuals, and I was happy to help with this process. Overall, I feel that volunteering itself is an essential way for people to give back to their communities, and I enjoyed hearing about new opportunities to do so in the city of Richmond.

Be First to Comment