The Handmaid’s Tale: Ch. XIII – Novel’s End

This final section of The Handmaid’s Tale leaves readers with a lot of unanswered questions. Chapter 40 begins with an unreliable account from Offred regarding her interactions with Nick. As we have discussed in reference to many of the works we’ve read this semester, individuals choose to reconfigure memories in order to cope with them. In reference to her encounters with Nick, Offred notes that “I made that up. It didn’t happen that way” (261). This uncertainty feeds into the ambivalence of the novel’s final scene.

A blog post about this final section would be incomplete without mentioning the scene where Serena Joy confronts Offred. Serena Joy summons Offred to reveal that she found her winter cloak with lipstick on it and the sequin purple costume. Serena Joy is clearly disgusted with Offred; however, I suspect that these feelings stem from the fact that Offred has a relationship with the Commander that deviates from the purpose of her role as a handmaid, bearing a child.

The novel ends with Offred waiting in her room to find out her punishment from Serena Joy. As she brainstorms potential ways to escape her penalty, the Eye’s black van arrives at the house. Nick enters her room to tell her not to worry as the members of the Eye who are here to take her are apart of Mayday. Serena Joy and the Commander do not understand what Offred has done. This confusion reveals that they were not the individuals who called the Eyes. The Eyes declare that they do not need a warrant due to “violation of state secrets.” This ominous ending relates to both Offred’s relationships with both Nick and the Commander. I can’t help but wonder what Offred’s relationship with Nick was truly like, and if that influenced the novel’s final scene. I might have to read the sequel as I am extremely curious as to what happens to Offred.

1. Michael Paul Michael Paul

The fact that there are so many rebels amongst the eyes shows that likely, most people within Gilead did not agree with the setup of the country. It is because the Eyes have power that allows them to take meaningful action. The irony in this is that many of the people in power were also the ones that oppressed the most. Often, though, it is the people in power that don’t realize the harshness of others’ situations.

2. Nicolette Romley Nicolette Romley

I did not think much about what if Offred and Nick’s relationship was different than what was in the book, even though Offred clearly stated that she made things up. It was hard to not fall into their relationship and hold onto the romance of it while seemingly disregarding the circumstance under which their relationship came to fruition.

3. Sara Messervey Sara Messervey

I had two thoughts in response to your post. At first, you reminded me of Offred’s shame at her “relationship” with the Commander and Nick, when she thinks of both Serena Joy and Luke. It’s amazing to me how she has been determined the “sinner” by herself and Serena Joy given all that Serena Joy has done to her. I also am left wondering about “Mayday.” If they could truly get people out like Ofglen said they could, why would anyone like her stay and face the brutality of repeated rape. I’m saddened by her choice to stay and what it cost her in the end.