Organizational Category

Nothing but the best from Porter Isaac

At Porter Isaac, we work to identify top talent in corporate recruiters, software engineers, and data science. There is a strong value on bringing the highest caliber candidates to companies that fit not only the industry and culture. We value the clients specific needs and career goals to achieve the perfect fit. We approach each situation with the mindset of “how can I help this person” to ensure that each individual leaves with a positive experience and feels they have gotten something out of their experience. In order to get returning clients, it is very important that our interactions are positive and we deliver the best candidates we can. As an entrepreneur, Derick does not have to meet quotas or anything so he can simply focus on only working with the best.

In order to learn about these norms and processes at Porter Isaac, my supervisor (CEO and founder) has many phone conversations with me describing how he operates, his expectations, and industry advice. I have been able to learn by listening to my supervisor hold phone interviews and we debrief afterwards. Additionally, we have done zoom screen sharing and control sharing in which we have walked through the many processes of recruiting together (business development and sourcing). Simply through his sharing and my watching, I have been able to pick up on expectations and attitudes and values.

I would say that my interactions are fairly informal and conversation is casual. Communication consists of emails, phone calls, and zoom calls. Through email and phone calls, the conversation is casual and we often discuss topics beyond work. On my zoom calls I am able to dress casually. Overall, the environment is very comfortable in which I am confident asking questions and asking for help when needed.

Derick has shared that through his interviews, he tries to through in some more casual language in order for the interviewee to feel comfortable and be themselves. This way he is able to get a good assessment of their character. I think the context of staffing and recruiting requires a charismatic leader because they must be convincing, provide vision, and increase motivation.