How Will We Consume Our News?

The statement that technology has changed over the last 5 years would be an understatement. Social media alone has gone from Facebook to Twitter to now Instagram and Snapchat being the reigning kings. When looking at the dissemination of information, news outlets are having a hard time keeping up. Traditional newspapers are failing and trying to create digital platforms to keep up with the change of times. Facebook now has trending topics and seems like it is angling to be the place where news breaks. Instagram is moving to an algorithm based feed as opposed to a chronological timeline. What does all this change mean for global governance? I think it largely determines how and when we receive our news.

With all of the big data about each of us out there, companies are catching up and catering the ads we receive and the posts we view to what they think we would like to see. I can’t help but wonder if news outlets will move to this formula. Will stories be posted chronologically or will you see stories that an algorithm determines? I think there’s a lot of value in staying chronological. I think being exposed to stories that you aren’t initially interested in helps you to form a more complete picture of global events. I think by unintentionally omitting certain world events from what we see inherently hurts our quest to learn. Half of the world events that occur might never be seen because they don’t generate enough interest to pop up in the algorithm feed. I think this would be a great disservice to viewers/readers and would create a huge knowledge gap for the public.