This Is Why I’m Here

My name is Matthew Celona and I am from Summit, NJ.  I am a junior here at the University of Richmond.  I am majoring in Business Administration with concentrations in Economics and Finance, as well as minoring in Mathematics.  As a business school major, it was great to hear in our first class meeting this past Tuesday that what we will learn this semester can definitely be applicable in the business world.

Last semester, all of my classes were in the business school.  Even though I loved taking all business school classes for a semester, I wanted to add a little diversity to my schedule this semester and take a class outside of the business school.  So when I was deciding on what class that should be for this semester, I eventually chose this geography class.  I have never taken a geography class before, so that provided the original appeal for me to sign up for this class.  But there were a few other main reasons as to why I signed up for this geography class.  First, I have an older brother who loves maps.  He has a few very interesting older maps that are hanging on the walls in his apartment.  Every time I see those maps, I always take a close look at them because they just look really interesting.  So my brothers interest in maps did spark my interest in geography as a whole, which is one of the reasons I wanted to take this class.  Second, my roommate here at Richmond for my freshman and sophomore year took an introduction geography class as a sophomore and told me that he learned a ton and the class was really interesting.  So my roommate definitely influenced my decision to take a geography class.  The last reason I chose to take this class is simply because I don’t think that I am great with geography as a whole and this was a great opportunity to learn more about the subject and refine my skills in geography.  I think that learning how to read and interpret different maps and studying the history of mapmaking will be really interesting and definitely sparked my interest in this class specifically.

Because I have never taken a geography class before, I hope that this class will give me a good foundation of skills in geography as a whole that I will be able to build off of to refine those skills even further.  If I am able to learn something that I can apply to my studies in the business world, I think that will be a fantastic, but primarily, I really just want to be gain a better understanding of maps and how to interpret them.  I think it is a skill that I will be able to use for my entire life, and one that I am definitely very interested in now.

This entry was posted in Assignment 1. Bookmark the permalink.