The Motro article, “Lessons from the Swiss Cheese Map,” made me consider the role that maps and their design can play in the peace process between two countries. We spoke in class about how maps can be used to manipulate the way that certain territories are viewed and which countries control them. Before reading this article, I had never considered how the artistic features of a map, such as color palette and label selections, could burden the peace process between two countries. Looking at the original Oslo map, however, it is apparent that it is visually unappealing and confusing. The map segregates Palestinian territories in an unattractive, blotchy fashion. The Motro/Corum Geneva Map on page 50, however, is much more aesthetically pleasing. The cool greens and blues are peaceful and much less harsh and violent looking than the original blood red color scheme. While both maps have the same goal, they create completely different moods. Prior to taking this class, I had only considered a “good” map to be one that accurately shows geographical features, such as roads and borders. However, that is not enough. This article helped me to realize the importance of incorporating not only technical, but also artistic considerations, when creating an effective map. I plan to bear this in mind when making maps of my own in the future.