My research can be organised in a logical way that is not just chronological. I start with a broad look at Millenium movements in the 19th century through the book New Heaven, New Earth. This is the logical place to start as it puts Oneida in a historical and cultural context. From then I can hone in.

This then brings me to the Foster background source that lets me explore Noyes and Oneida from a summarising perspective of a writer who has extensive knowledge on the subject. From there I find what is most interesting to me within this. This to me was how religion enfolded with Noyes and informed many of his new practices.

This is when I seek to delve deep into the issue of how Noyes reformulated his interpretation of Christianity. There are four sources that help to bring this together and I am attempting to gather more.

Religion and Sexuality provides a great rendering of the struggles Noyes went through to become enlightened by earlier Christianities and subsequently developed new ideas on how society should be organised.

Logically I then move on to Oneida using the sources Free Love and Feminism, Slavery in Marriage and Bible Communism that all do well in giving a great account of how religion intersected with the practices of Oneida.

With this I am fully able to comprehend how a reimagined Christianity brought many benefits to this intentional community.