The Goals of First Year Seminars
First Year Seminars introduce students to academic inquiry and the modes of expression that lie at the heart of a liberal arts education. Every FYS is designed to fulfill several objectives*
- Expand and deepen students’ understanding of the world and of themselves
- Enhance their ability to read and think critically
- Enhance their ability to communicate effectively, in writing, speech, and other appropriate forms
- Develop the fundamentals of information literacy and library research
- Provide the opportunity for students to work closely with a faculty mentor
*Please see the “FYS Common Expectations” handout for details of these goals.