Class 8 – Performance-based Assessment / DBQ

The Document-based Question presentation demonstrating how this type of assessment and experience can be applied with a Kindergarten classroom was very valuable. I learned a lot from listening to both teachers share experiences from their first year trying out this technique. The step-by-step photographs of local students presented made it easier to imagine how I could apply this technique in my own classroom. It was great to hear genuine stories from the teachers about what they and their students thought about the experience. It was also helpful to see some of the end products (drawings, writings, oral statements) created by the students. My initial reaction prior to the presentation would have been to think that this type of instruction and assessment might be too complex for the Kindergarten grade level. However, after seeing a first-hand account of how this can be done, I understand how DBQ can be used in a primary classroom. Also, I understand how this experience could provide the students with a much deeper understanding of the content they are learning. I love how the teachers activated the students’ background knowledge at the start of the lesson by taking time to learn about what students know about Thanksgiving, and I also love how they incorporated the required standards about past and present into this lesson. I think students would love the movement and interaction that this type of experience provided. It was almost like an in-house field trip with the gallery walk of images set up in various school hallways. I love the tip that the teachers shared about managing students’ behavior by teaching the students that when they go to a museum they must be quiet and polite and respect the works that they are examining.  Rather than feeling like strict rules for the students, I imagine this explanation of what was expected of the students probably added to the excitement by making it feel like a special experience.

2 thoughts on “Class 8 – Performance-based Assessment / DBQ”

1. I’m with you. I found the presentation by the teachers to be so beneficial. I’m so glad Lynne was able to arrange for them to come and share with us. I know that much of what we have done has focused on the upper elementary grades, so having this primary perspective was valuable.

I’m glad their presentation has given you confidence and an understanding of how a DBQ can be implemented in a classroom.

2. Tonya, I believe the most valuable outcome of the DBQ presentation was the realization that kindergarten students are more capable than we realize. With scaffolding they can soar! I am glad you were inspired by Ms. Barrett and Ms. Hetterich. I am so thankful they were able to present. Thank you for your reflection.