Class #7

When watching the video “Applying Knowledge at a Museum” from TeachingChannel.org, something that the teacher said is “your job in a museum is not to see everything, it is to look closely at the things that you find most interesting.” This reminded me of museum visits with my family. I’ve been to a handful of museums with my family, either for school projects back at home in California or when we visited other states or countries and wanted to go to a museum to learn more about the culture. My, mom, brother, and I always raced through each room, trying to see everything, and feeling accomplished once we felt we had seen it all. However, my dad was the complete opposite. He would read every placard and every small detail; He would spend hours in just one room. He loved renting the headsets where you could press a button and learn everything about one painting or piece of pottery. Looking back at it now, my dad probably had gained much more from these museum experiences than me, my brother, and my mom combined. Like the teacher said from this video, the goal is not to see everything in a museum, it is to look closely at a few select things. Even one of our guides at the VMFA today said that the average person spends 7 seconds looking at one picture, artifact, or sculpture. Instead, the more effective way is to choose a picture, artifact or sculpture that interests you and then dig deep, ask questions, research more, and reflect. Complete certain activities like the “I see, I think, I wonder,” “connect, extend, challenge,” or “perceive, know, care about.” Like what was demonstrated in our class period today at the VMFA, it is easy to spend 20-30 minutes just on one picture. Spending time to actually look at the information and the picture allows for connection and the ability to recall the experience in the future. Thinking back on the museums I have visited, I do not remember much more than seeing Mona Lisa in the Louvre or bits and pieces about the purpose of the Mission San Juan Capistrano in California. I am sure I could call my Dad and he would remember much more than me because he took the time to connect and reflect on what he saw.

2 thoughts on “Class #7”

1. Sophia, I just love the connections you made from your childhood museum visits with your family! I believe you saw your dad’s approach to analyzing the art and culture of a region in a whole new light! Your childhood experiences coupled with your recent experience a the VMFA will prepare you to plan a meaningful trip for your students. I wonder how you felt about the virtual “Maggie” field trip. I also wonder if you had been able to experience your childhood museum visits ahead of time by engaging a virtual trip if you would have been intrigued to learn more like your dad. What do you think? Apply your rich, first hand experiences when planning your first field trip with students.

Do you feel the docent was helpful in the way she had you analyze art? Thank you for your reflection. I enjoyed reading it.

2. I’m so glad this comment from the video struck you:
    “Your job in a museum is not to see everything. It is to look closely at the things that you find most interesting.”
    This is exactly the approach the VMFA education staff take and I think, the correct one. When students try to “see it all” I think they miss important works and ideas. Like you, I was one of those “see everything” people. My father, like yours, was the slow-moving, read it all and take in type. I really wasn’t until I took a course two summers ago that I learned to slow down and meditate on just a few pieces and their meaning.

Thanks for sharing your personal connections here. This kind of reflection makes the ideas you are studying much more meaningful.