Blog Number 5

This was the first class at the University of Richmond that got me excited about writing a lesson plan. I am not even sure if excited is the right word, but I feel more confident about the upcoming assignment. I really liked that we were able to see such a seasoned teacher conduct a lesson. Before this, I never understood the concept of a lesson plan, especially in the U of R format, and this video gave me a much better understanding of it. I also liked the film because it was very relatable and the teacher seemed respectful, caring, and intelligent. Writing down what I saw in the lesson plan template as the video progressed also helped me visualize and figure out how the lesson plan process actually works.

As I expressed to you earlier, lesson planning has always been something that has weighed heavily on me throughout my time in the program. It was very emotional to finally understand how to write one. I really want to be proactive for my first lesson plan so I can get feedback along the way and not feel like I am scrambling to put together something I’m not proud of at the last minute.

Regarding the activities we participated in in class, I appreciated how they mirrored Mrs. Wicketts’. I would 100% use every activity in my future class because they not only engaged the students, but they taught them new information and reinforced it.

I have been so nervous to become a teacher because I have been extremely worried about how I am going to teach my children. I know that I will love and respect them, but I also want them to learn things from me. I think today’s lesson was a huge step for me and has helped me think in a different way.

I’m looking forward to becoming more skilled and learning how to write and adapt lesson plans for children.

Thank you for a listening ear and today’s lesson!

2 thoughts on “Blog Number 5”

1. I didn’t want to interrupt your conversation once class had ended, but I was concerned when you mentioned you had difficulty with lesson planning last semester and didn’t really understand it. I wish you had told me! I would have taken the time to walk through this with you. And of course, I still will if you need or want some additional support. I am glad to know you are feeling a bit more confident now.

I can appreciate your nervousness about becoming a teacher. I think all new teachers feel this way. Heck, I feel this way at the beginning of every semester. This isn’t a bad thing. It means you care and want to do well by your students. I know you have what it takes and you are developing more skills and collecting the tools to help you be successful with every class you take. Don’t be discouraged and never let anyone tell you you can’t do it or won’t be good enough. I believe in you.

2. Molly, I was hoping the video with Ms. Wickett’s would help students more clearly visualize what a lesson looks like. Dr. Stohr and I valued this opportunity for everyone to make connections to the UR lesson plan format. Being able to take what you hope happens in theory and see it come alive “on the big screen” was an a-ha moment for many of your classmates. I appreciate you sharing that it supported your learning.

Please feel free to send your lesson plan to either me or Dr. Stohr a little early if you wish to get some initial feedback. You got this girl! You are going to make a wonderful teacher.