Blog Post 8

The teachers that presented the DBQ presentation to the class truly took my learning to a new level. I found it extremely helpful to have instruction from people who are out in the field with young children doing something so innovative and seeing success. The presentation itself was extremely helpful and seeing the kids responding so positively to things like the gallery walk in the hallway was inspiring and gave me ideas for how I would incorporate interactive Social Studies lessons with younger students. The study of primary sources to answer the questions for me was key. I thought that working with primary sources for young students was unheard of but I see now that it can be done. I wonder though if at such a young age they can truly put value on what a primary source is.  The other idea that I would like to implement and makes a lot of sense for younger students is framing history as cause and effect. I think that creating a narrative is vital in capturing attention because bombarding with facts seems like the usual approach. I wonder how to find a perfect balance between narrative and fact, sticking to the standards and goals you have to meet but also engaging students. One thing that did worry me though was how to implement a DBQ model while sticking to a pacing guide that is not as flexible. These teachers said that they had a principal who worked with their needs and I worry because I know that not all principals are like this. The final thing that struck me importance of collaboration and communication throughout the DBQ process. It’s clear that students not only have to be communicating their thoughts with the teacher but the teacher has to model the type of language students are expected to use. This seems like a lot to handle but I am sure it comes with practice.