Blog Post

I have never truly been clear about the kind of learner I am. I think that I am most likely a mix between an auditory and visual learner. I appreciate seeing examples in front of me but also listening to accounts and writing notes on what I hear to revise later for further comprehension. This worked for me in my elementary years because the school I went to was very traditional in its approach to teaching and clung to a lecture heavy approach with little to no room for variation. However, in my classroom, I will do my best to incorporate varied teaching methods to keep kids up and active as well as engaged with the material at hand. I think that something like acting out scenes from history would be perfect for this. Also, going out to museums or field trips of some kind could offer varied experiences.

I think that when providing background knowledge for English language learners, picture books could be the perfect aid. Not only are they associating the simplified words you are saying with the text, they will most likely be making connections and predictions across the visuals in front of them. This allows for the creation of a narrative that could be crucial for them to understand the material at hand or at least create a foundation of understanding that could be built upon. I think that finding various picture books with simplified language could be extremely helpful.

For other students I could use picture books as well. I also liked the idea of using the Picture Walk. It creates a really good idea of what is to come as well as providing opportunity for students to speak out about what they see that is perhaps familiar to them. The final strategy I found helpful in the Shoob and Stout reading was the implementation of Word Webs. I think this a really helpful introduction because it addresses background knowledge as a class and also could correct any misconceptions students may have about a topic.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post”

1. Mercedes,
    We missed you in class. I do hope you are feeling better.
    We had a brief discussion about learning styles, largely because there is quite a bit of research that says they don’t exist. This was in the context of discussing the textbook and the fact that it is “old.” There are a number of chapters that have really good information, and a few that are just outdated.
    I think what we need to focus on and remember is that we learn when we are exposed to ideas in a variety of formats. This variety actually helps us commit more to memory than when we only receive it in one form.

2. Mercedes,

I missed you in class last week and I hope that your migraine was short-lived!

I am glad that you see value in using picture books. They are indeed valuable for ELL students because pictures can be a universal language! However, picture books can support all learners because they help in building background knowledge before one word is actually read!

I will reinforce Dr. Stohr’s post that there is evidence now that learning styles are not really a “thing” after all. I am a strong proponent of balance. If you work to support all students with rich activities you will make learning fun and meaningful for everyone.