Class 6 Reflection: Assessment

What you (Lynne) said about there being no need to make students memorize huge chunks of information just for the sake of it really resonated with me. I have always found big memorization tasks to be the cop out way of adding challenge to a class — a sort of lazy or just ill-informed attempt at “setting high standards.” Too many teachers just pack in extra details for students to spit back. It is easier to assign, present and grade for the teacher, but it just wastes time and mental energy — not to mention enthusiasm for learning — for the students, especially now that we all have such easy access to information 24/7. I think this happens a lot in advanced/gifted classes that are really just accelerated. These kids end up doing double the work of the regular classes, but not getting the time or opportunity to really think and process…so they’re actually being trained OUT of thinking…which in my opinion is the opposite of what we want to be doing. (This is why we pulled our daughter out 2 out of 4 of her accelerated classes for middle school — we wanted her to have more time to think and process and connect, not to mention explore some of her own interests, sleep, adjust to middle school, and interact with friends and family. To us, these things are more important — and provide better opportunity for success — than building the perfect transcript for Harvard…which she would never want to attend anyway. :))

So, the question is: how do I do it better in my own classroom? I think part of it is attitude: If teachers are willing to make the effort to think deeply, then they will be better equipped to create opportunities for their students to do the same. Another big part, it seems, is building (or finding) assessments that measure this type of higher order thinking. With the right assessments guiding instruction, “teaching to the test” is no longer a limiting construct. I am thankful that I will be entering the profession at a time when the standards-focused trend is subsiding in favor of a more balanced approach, and I hope that wherever I end up working, I will be lucky enough to land in a team of teachers that is already on board.

Dr. Stohr, our discussion of what makes a good assessment reminded me of my other/past life, in which I learned how to create, administer and analyze marketing research instruments (surveys, focus groups, etc.). Many of the same principles I worked with then seem to apply to building good assessments for education: ensuring both reliability and validity; norming; clarity and consistency in constructing questions; parallel structure; selecting the appropriate instrument for the type of data you wish to collect; etc. It is always encouraging when I can connect my past experiences to current learning — it wasn’t a total waste after all! 😉 However, because I do have some experience with this, it is one of the reasons I am so picky about lesson plans and assessments I find online (or that my kids bring home!) — and why it takes me FOREVER to find something I am comfortable using or adapting for lesson plans. Although I am by no means an expert at creating instructional/assessment resources, I am pretty good at being critical of what’s out there…in other words, I know just enough to make me obnoxious!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 My challenge for myself is to get more familiar with where to find good resources, and more efficient at adapting/creating good materials so that when I’m sitting in a team meeting in a couple years, I can bring solid solutions to the table instead of pointing out problems.

4 thoughts on “Class 6 Reflection: Assessment”

1. Lisa,
    My motto is always that kids should work smarter, not harder. Too often we ask gifted kids to do more work, when they should be thinking more deeply about the content. I wish teachers were more intentional about how they challenged kids in accelerated and gifted classes.

As to finding good assessments for social studies, here are a couple of good resources.
    Assessment Resource Center for History
    https://www.umbc.edu/che/arch/samples.php
    SHEG History Assessments
    https://sheg.stanford.edu/history-assessments
    Assessing With Primary Sources
    https://educatingwithevidence.siu.edu/assessing/

I’m glad you are finding connections between your (past) work life and the work you will engage in as a teacher. Having this background will certainly be of help.

1. Thanks so much for the resources!!

In my kids’ schools, many parents put their kids in math enrichment programs and get tutors for them starting before kindergarten. It is the norm in some circles to “study” for the Cogat so their kids will get into the gifted program. These parents tend to ask for more homework, expecting a couple hours of work per night for 4th/5th graders…and they want their kids to fly through the material so that they are well into algebra before heading to middle school. If I end up teaching in this school, I’m going to have to think carefully about how to balance what I believe to be the best way to challenge and support truly gifted kids, with the parent pressure to accelerate, and the school/district framework that seems to treat gifted and accelerated as the same thing…

2. Lisa, I really enjoyed reading your reflection. I was able to make my own connections to your situation with your child in middle school and making the decision to pull her out of two classes! I just did this with my 16 year old daughter! I listened to her concerns about AP World History and we finally agreed not to put her through the anxiety of the course anymore. She was placed in honors world history and is like a new person. She really likes her new class a smiles more!

No experience of our past is ever for naught! I think your experience is quite remarkable in how its impact will support your future assessment writing. Down the road…I encourage you to seek out professional development in the area of assessment and become an expert on this topic. Not only will it support your classroom, it will allow you to be a teacher leader in your school. Assessment is a critical piece for students! It is important that we see the most accurate and equitable picture of our students so that they get the opportunities they need.

Stay the path.

1. Lynne, Yes! We’ve seen a lot more smiles and a lot fewer tears this year, too!! I’m so glad your daughter is feeling good about the change. I think it’s so important to give our kids a voice in where they put their energy. Sometimes it’s our job to push their limits and broaden their horizons, but other times it’s more important to help them see that it’s ok (and valuable) to intentionally ease up on something that is stressful but not contributing to their overall goals…it leaves gas in the tank to really gun for the things that they care about, and space for them to figure out exactly WHAT they care about.

Also, thanks for the encouragement to delve deeper into assessment writing!