Week 8 Reflection – 3/5/19

I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s article readings about project based learning.  The first-hand account of how a teacher struggled and succeeded while implementing PBL was reassuring to me.  I love the idea of project-based learning and DBQs, but at this point for me it’s all theory.  Connecting this reading with the Kindergarten Teachers’ presentation really made this practice come alive for me.  It’s one thing to learn about PBL and formative assessments through readings and discussions, but it’s an entirely different learning experience when you get to personally interact with teachers implementing these activities on a daily basis.

I think it would be really helpful to hear from an upper elementary teacher who is working on PBLs and DBQs in the classroom.  I would appreciate getting a different perspective or experience.  It was also encouraging to hear the two teachers talk about their professional learning community.  One thing I am worried about when becoming a teacher is the idea of being alone in my lesson planning.  I liked hearing these teachers talk about their collaboration with their kindergarten team and being able to bounce ideas off of each other.

Coming away from class last night, I am still very lost on how to critique a rubric to determine its efficiency level.  I understand the general idea, but I am worried for my assessment project because I feel like I didn’t get enough specific direction about critiquing.  During our discussion, many people had different feelings about the efficiency of the example rubric, so my question is, are differing opinions okay?

One thought on “Week 8 Reflection – 3/5/19”

1. Lane, I enjoyed reading your reflection. I felt three things from you…excitement (seeing engaged learning and assessment come alive during the modeling by teachers), peace of mind (knowing you will be able to collaborate when planning in a PLC, and uncertainty (how do I assess a rubric for my upcoming assignment?) Those are three emotions wrapped up into one reflection and totally normal for a pre-service teacher!

As far as your last concern, I am interested to see how you view and interpret the quality review tool at the outset. As uncomfortable as you feel right now, I want you to know you are taking a safe risk in this class. When I mention in class the idea of growth mindset with students I value the process with my own students! I feel you will learn from having to complete an assignment you are not comfortable with. My hope is that on the other side you will walk about with more confidence in yourself! Let’s see how this all works out… I would appreciate you actually walking up to me when all is said and done and actually tell me how you feel at that moment. I am now taking a risk because I am not 100% sure what you will have for me on that day. However, I know whatever it is you and I will both grow in some way. I 100% know that.