Week 13-Difficult Topics

As a future educator I know I will deal with difficult topics in my classroom.  The scariest part is not knowing which ones, and will I be prepared enough to handle it.  I think it is important that we as educators stay on top of culturally sensitive topics since we never know when they will make their way into our classrooms.

This past Tuesday I appreciated Professor Bland’s advice on sticking to the facts, and asking for help when needed.  I am the type of person that has a hard time asking for help, but I know this is something I will need to overcome for the sake of my student’s welfare.

I am wondering if schools hold workshops in the summer for teachers that help equip them for difficult topics, especially ones that seem to pop up in their school?  I think this would be helpful.

2 thoughts on “Week 13-Difficult Topics”

1. Kelly, Asking for help does not mean you are weak! Think about asking your one day PLC to deliberately set up a safe environment for asking questions and then go for it! Most people, you will find, appreciate this. It is a great way to affirm each other!

There will always be something to come up along the way that you have to figure out how to deal with. Remember to be honest and open, just like you are naturally, and it will all work itself out! You got this!