Week #9-Jamestown

I took the most from the sticky note predictor last night.  This is a great strategy to use to activate prior knowledge and stir up interest in a subject.  I personally learned so much from the 4 pictures I looked at. As a teacher I know I could build off of that, even creating a lesson from each picture, since there is a story behind each one.

I wonder what it would look like to ask students to write a short story just based on what they see and notice from a primary source? Then after they learn the historical facts have them go back and make factual changes without changing too much of their story.  I wonder if this would confuse them or would it help them grasp the material better?

2 thoughts on “Week #9-Jamestown”

1. Kelly, I like your idea of having students writing a story about a primary source image. This can be considered opportunities to practice writing, make predictions, and determine fact/opinion. Asking students to compare and contrast their fiction writing with the facts could be a fun way to learn. I don’t think it would confuse students. Thank you for your reflection!

1. Thank you Professor Bland! I am excited to be able to incorporate this into my classroom!