Blog Post #11 April 2nd

1. Out of the Dust book.
  2. Adding music to lessons

The book was very interesting because it was really sad and I thought it was hard to teach children about this topic. I think the book was so raw. Was it too much for young students?I think the most interesting things about this book was the health and environment aspect of this time. There were so many topics covered in this book. This book is good for older grades. But a very important topic to cover.

Music is something that never really used in the classroom. But with my experience with kids, I see that kids learn a lot more through a song. The songs we listened to in class today stuck with me because they were catchy. Songs are easy to use and even easier to find. All the songs I learned I still remember today. They can be used on a test as well.

One thought on “Blog Post #11 April 2nd”

1. Haley, I noticed in your biography lesson plan that you used music to tell the story of MLK while students were engaged in an art activity. I wonder if you were inspired to add that to your lesson based upon the blues song we used in class. Either way, I am glad you value music as a learning tool. I too feel it is powerful. I used music often when I taught U. S. history. The students were very inspired by this. Thank you for your reflection.