February 19, 2019 Reflection

The way assessment options were presented during Tuesday nights class was interesting for a few reasons. First, I had always been under the impression that giving multiple choice tests doesn’t teach the child the information but how to take a test. But what I heard Tuesday night was that multiple choice was a good method to test knowledge of a topic. I do realize these tests can be created either with low or high quality questions and answers.

Short answer questions can gauge if a child knows the material well enough to talk about it. Isn’t that the goal of teaching? I am looking at teaching upper elementary school, so I would expect students to be able to write down their answers and be able to defend them (This is the answer because….).

I guess what I  am concluding is that there needs to be a balance among testing methods. I realize short answer is not practical sometimes but I also think some teachers rely heavily on multiple choice tests in order to teach students how to complete an SOL.

One thought on “February 19, 2019 Reflection”

1. Chandley,

Your comment, “I guess what I am concluding is that there needs to be a balance among testing methods” is like winning BINGO to me! You are right! There will always be a place for traditional type assessments. For over 20 years K-12 education has only relied on these though which has led to a narrowing of curriculum and a generation of students who cannot apply their knowledge. If a kindergarten student can answer factual questions about the First Thanksgiving then why not ask them, “Would you have rather have been a pilgrim or a Native American and why?” This would give them a chance to apply their knowledge in a way most meaningful to them.