February 5, 2019 Class Reflection

The greatest take away from this weeks’ lesson was the use of primary resources. We used this to piece together the life of Mr. Stohr, but this technique can be used in a variety of ways.

After reviewing the skills progression sheet we were handed, I was left wondering how I would implement this in a class as young as first grade? Clearly there would be differentiation and a more basic lesson, but how would I use primary sources with a group of 6-7-year-old students? Would it look more like a presentation of artifacts and a gallery walk in which students are allowed to move from station to station while observing and potentially handling the primary source? Then the students would move back to their seats for the remainder of the lesson?

I fully believe children learn with more depth and complexity when they are allowed to view, handle, and manipulate resources and this would be a fantastic way to extend a lesson on basic concepts.

One thought on “February 5, 2019 Class Reflection”

1. Hi Chandley,

Kindergarten and first grade students can analyze primary sources. They can point out things they notice and wonder about their meaning. We will have guest speaker kindergarten teachers this semester who will show you how primary students can be successful with primary students. I can’t wait! I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy and meaningful these lessons can be. Thanks for your reflection.