Reflection on the First Class- January 15th

This first class was so much fun! All first classes are usually made up of the same 2 things: meeting each other and going over the syllabus. However, with this class I was immediately engaged when the picture of the first Thanksgiving was shown. When looking at it, I kept being drawn to the man holding the gun in the background. I had so many questions about this man and the native Americans. Why did he think he needed to hold the gun? Was he trying to prove he was in charge? How did the natives feel that he was holding that gun? Was he a nice man or was he quite intimidating? Would he be responsible with that gun? The part the struck me most, though, was what my tablemates picked up in the picture. Everyone saw something different and had different questions. This is an exercise I will definitely be doing with my students, extending it to a Reader’s Theater or to include math and science.

This semester I hope to learn engaging ways to teach social studies to higher elementary grade levels. I think it can be easy for teachers to get into a rut of teaching the facts about social studies, but to help children make connections and develop an extended understanding of the material it needs to be presented a way that piques interest. We, as students, experienced this during our first class and I cannot wait to see what else is in store for us!

One thought on “Reflection on the First Class- January 15th”

1. Hi Chandley,
    I am glad you enjoyed our first class. I must say, the questions you created about the image I posted are quite thoughtful and engaging! Actually, you engaged a questioning strategy called the Question Formulation Technique (QFT)! I will be introducing the class to this protocol during the semester. In my opinion, you are well on your way to creating an engaging classroom! Always remember, what engages you will most likely engage your students.

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow! Lynne