Blog #9

After taking some time to think about class, I feel as though I was able to see the importance of starting off a lesson strong. Allowing us to see a map and spend some time looking at it making observations helping me to truly begin to develop deeper questions about all of the items that were on the map. As someone who loves poster paper and wants to find many ways to use it in my future classroom, walking around the room and seeing what different groups observed was a great way to see that while some minds may think in a similar way, not everyone always processes things as others. Seeing the connection between the original map and the one that we were given at the end was a great way for me to make connections to present day Virginia verse historic Virginia during 1606. Growing up in Chesterfield County, with Jamestown so close I have lost count of the number of times that I have been there on field trips, however, now looking at it from a teaching perspective I can see why it is a common trip. The amount of history and cross-curriculum that can be included into lessons about Jamestown is incredible.

Reflecting about the discussion about lesson planning I think personally it was helping to be reminded that the grade that we first get is not the grade that we are stuck with. As someone who works extremely hard for every grade, I know that I always have room for improvement. I will certainly be the student who submits them until time runs out, or I get a grade that I am happy with. It was helping to hear what exactly the social studies lesson plans should include so that moving forward I can make sure I approach them the correct way.

Each class that I am able to participate in hands on activities is a great reminder that teaching social studies content is so much more than having the student memorize facts so they can pass a test!

One thought on “Blog #9”

1. Caroline, It is interesting for me to hear that you have been to Jamestown many times as a student and now see the field trip from a teacher perspective. This is very helpful for you because you have your own background knowledge that you can apply in a new way.

I am glad that I am able to give students a variety of opportunities to complete assignments. I prefer that practice because it promotes a growth mindset. Hopefully, you will be able to support your own students that way one day too.

Thanks for your reflection.