The Real(scule) Students of Ludwigsburg

#1&DONE 0 Comments

By far my favorite academic excursion we did was the visit to the German Realschule in Ludwigsburg. Before the visit, I was quite confused by the German tracking system when Pierre first discussed it with us. The way his presentation sounded, it seemed like a school caste system: you get placed into a school based on qualities you possess at age 10 and there is no room for movement or improvement. I was so thankful for the experience of visiting the German Realschule because it completely reversed this belief for me. While it originally seemed to be an inflexible and rigid structure, students have the opportunity to attend university and constantly better themselves. Seemingly, German children can always learn more and always go back to school.

I do wonder about the stereotypes or associations with going to a school considered “lower” than gymnasium. Are you less likely to get accepted to university or an apprenticeship? It’s still just so odd to be to base a child’s future off of their grades at age 10. At age ten, I was obsessed with horses and reading…where would they have placed me?

I loved being able to learn more about the German school system and compare it with the American school system. There are some things they’ve got down pat that I think the US should definitely try and implement. No standardized tests? Teaching languages in a dual-immersion format? Hello, yes I’d like to apply to teach in Germany please.

(But seriously, though…I’m tempted to submit my resume to that school…)

However, I do appreciate that in America school is a more fluid system. I’m not sure how comfortable I would be as a teacher deciding whether my student would easily be able to attend university or should be confined to a life they might not want. I certainly wouldn’t want someone else deciding that for me.

PC: Kara Bleecher